Sunday, June 25, 2006

RELAY FOR LIFE

Last night Jake & I walked the Relay For Life for the American Cancer Society. This was my first experience doing this and let me say it was quite an emotional few hours! We weren't able to be there during the day, but when we arrived for our shift around 8:30pm I must say I was quite amazed at all the survivors out walking. It was very tough seeing some of the young survivors and hearing all the stories of what they have been thru in their lives! The luminaria ceremony began around 9:30 and boy was it powerful! It began with a few speakers, then a slideshow of people who have lost their battle to cancer and those fighting their battle. While that was showing all the luminaria bags around the whole track were lit as well as the HOPE on the grandstands. It really was an experience I'll never forget! We were honored to have been able to do this for (both mine & Joe's) our family members who we have lost to cancer and for my Uncle who is battling cancer now. We were part of the "Powerful Pink People" team which was my friend Alisa's team whose Mom Bobbe is a Breast Cancer Survivor. You can check out her blog under my links on the right -->, I'm sure she will be posting some pictures of the whole day.

Jake was such a trooper all night and he really wanted to go with me. Each lap you got a paper clip to link together so you knew how many laps you walked. We did 26! Jake was so funny because if he would take a break one lap then would RUN the next so he could keep up with how many laps I did ;-)) It was so touching at one point we were walking and he said to me "This really is a nice thing we are doing, mommy" He worked up quite an appetite...pizza at 11:30pm...yummy!
sorry about the fuzzy night pictures, not sure how to work that setting yet!

3 Comments:

Blogger Chef Deb said...

Great job, guys!! I want to do it next year...

9:19 AM  
Blogger Java Mom said...

Jake was a super trooper.......he did great......Maybe we can put together a relay team next year???????? I'm sure glad I picked the late night shift....it wasn't hot at all.......

10:48 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

You guys did great! Count me in for next year! I think it is so great that Jake understood what a good thing you guys were doing! Kuddos to you!!

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home